Thursday, January 04, 2007

Showering in the Dark

Last night I went for a short jog through the beautiful, albeit pitch black, High Park. While it’s a common event for a lot of runners most evenings, many drivers become suddenly afraid to travel through. There are street lamps all along the main paths, yet I must have passed about five cars with their high beams on.

I mean, come on people. It’s the middle of the city; even reckless joggers are hard to miss with all of the reflective gear. After all, we’re the ones that want to survive the nighttime trip. And any of the deer that would run across the road are scared of, guess what, all the people out there.

Anyway, the point is that as I returned to the civilization of Bloor St. I noticed a rather weird sensation in my eyes. Immediately it seemed that the bright contrast between dark skies and blaring headlights somehow shocked my rods and cones. The result was a vibrating multi-coloured halo in my vision that surrounded everything I saw. Not only that, it soon turned into a headache for which I figured the only cure was pure and utter darkness. And being a sweaty lump, desperately in need of a cleansing, I took a shower…in the dark.

Yes, a darkness shower. Lights out, can’t find the soap, fun. I knew that if anyone had walked in on me they would think me, what’s the word, fucked out of my mind.

But, it turns out that showering the dark is not such a weird thing after all. Entire sex-fueled songs are written about it. Some sites even recommend the practice to help improve night vision.

About the colour halo thing; it turns out that I don’t have any notable eye problem but from now on I’m going to try running with my sunglasses on. At night.

Damn I’m funny.

No comments: