Thursday, January 11, 2007

Advancing Plot versus Keeping Viewers: A Discussion on "24"

*WARNING: SPOLIERS BELOW*

Ok, so I'm a little behind the times. I only recently started watching 24. Not only is it a brilliantly written show it features some interesting character studies. Of note is Tony Almeida.

I liked Tony. He was a great character and I admired his progression through each of the 5 seasons of 24. He suffered horrible set backs, like being shot in the neck and losing his wife (not once, but twice), and even though he gradually became darker and appeared more sociopathic, there was always that spark of kindness and the "good guy" who made a brief resurgance, before something worse happened.

All of this came to nought when the freaking writers decided to kill him off. Just when we feel most sorry for him, and when he puts aside his desire for vengeance in favour of saving the country, he gets stabbed with a syringe and dies in Jack's arms. God damnit!

This is way for show's to lose viewers. There was a brief moment where I thought to stop watching the show entirely. After three solid months of episode after episode, rushing to get it done in time for Season 6's premeire this Sunday, Tony's death sparked a thought in my mind: "Fuck it. I'm done with this show."

But then I came to my senses and thought about how necessary it was for that to happen. Despite being so important to the show and fans, killing off Tony had to happen at that point to not only further the plot, but give Jack Bauer some character (which for the most part, doesn't exist).

Writers do run a risk by pulling this kind of unexpected stunt on the viewers. Even though 24 markets itself as willing to do anything to anyone, there was still an expectation that at least the fans will be appeased. And to be honest, after the initial shock of losing my favourite character, I admire the writers even more. Assholes!

And yet, I thought there was a spark of hope that Tony would rise from the ashes like a phoenix of CTU glory. But, alas, even those hopes were dashed. I'll have to play the rest of Season 5 out and hope I don't fall with any of the other characters.

No comments: